Enjoy Colombia with a Cartagena Sunset
My husband came up with this alcoholic drink in the U.S., but has tweeked it a bit and named it in homage to our current homeland of Cartagena, Colombia. The inspiration behind the name was the incredible sunsets we get to experience every night here, with the pink and orange in the beverage mimicking the colors we see in the sky.
This drink and jugo de fresa are about the only two beverages I regularly consume down here, with the jugo de fresas by day and the Cartagena Sunsets by night. This alcoholic beverage is citrusy and refreshing and a perfect drink for those hot summer nights. And, yes, it is one of those tasty drinks that you keep sipping and tend to forget that it even contains alcohol.
HOW TO MAKE A CARTAGENA SUNSET
Ready in: 5 minutes
Serving: 1 Mason jar
Juice of 1/2 of a Valencia orange
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
1 oz Bombay Sapphire Gin
Approximately 1 cup of crushed ice
Sparkling Ice pink grapefruit sparkling water
1. Put a large Mason jar into the freezer until it is so cold it frosts when you remove it from the freezer. At least an hour. (We just keep a couple of Mason jars in the freezer at all times in case the moment to make this drink presents itself.)
1. Put the orange juice, lime juice, gin and crushed ice into a drink shaker. Shake until drink is mixed and shaker starts to frost (only needs a few vigorous shakes).
2. Pour the contents of the shaker into the frozen Mason jar.
3. Top off the Mason jar with the pink grapefruit sparkling water.
4. Enjoy immediately while the glass is still frosty.
Sparkling Ice pink grapefruit sparkling water, gin, Valencia orange, and lime.
Drink shaker and frosted Mason jar.
Finished product...the Cartagena Sunset.